1 of 11
A couple of yr in the past, InformationWeek revealed an inventory of probably the most in-demand programming languages in 2020. For 2021, the lineup of prime coding languages contains a whole lot of acquainted names, however the order has modified a bit.
Many various organizations publish lists of well-liked programming languages, however they calculate that reputation in several methods. For instance, some take surveys of builders and ask them which languages they like finest. Others analyze job postings to see which expertise employers are searching for, and nonetheless others depend the variety of net searches for various languages.
The InformationWeek checklist attracts on a number of totally different lists compiled by different organizations to find out which languages are presently probably the most related to enterprise IT. The sources embody the next:
- The Tiobe Index — Up to date month-to-month, this checklist counts the variety of programming language net searches on 25 totally different search engines like google.
- The PYPL Recognition of Programming Languages Index — Additionally up to date month-to-month, PYPL is a shorter checklist that counts Google searches for language tutorials.
- RedMonk — This semiannual checklist counts the languages utilized in GitHub repositories and the languages mentioned on Stack Overflow.
- GitHub Octoverse — This annual report surveys the highest languages that seem in GitHub repositories.
- Stack Overflow — The developer web site surveys its customers yearly on their most liked, dreaded, and wished languages.
- Certainly.com — On occasion, the job posting web site publishes lists of prime languages based mostly on job postings, salaries, and profession outlook.
- Coding Dojo — The coding bootcamp publishes an annual checklist based mostly solely on the variety of job postings that point out every language.
This slideshow highlights the highest 10 programming languages, however a pair that fell simply exterior the highest 10 are value point out.
TypeScript, in eleventh place, climbed from seventh to fourth on the GitHub checklist this yr, and it additionally ranks extremely on the Stack Overflow, RedMonk, and Certainly.com lists. If it weren’t so low on the Tiobe checklist (50), it could definitely be within the prime 10 on this checklist. It is going to be attention-grabbing to see if it makes it into InformationWeek’s checklist subsequent yr.
In contrast, Goal-C, which is presently in twelfth place, will virtually definitely not be in InformationWeek’s checklist for 2022. Whereas it was previously the language of alternative for creating iOS apps, Goal-C has been changed and has been slowly sinking within the scores ever since.
Which programming languages made it to the highest 10 checklist for 2021? Click on by way of our slideshow to search out out.
Cynthia Harvey is a contract author and editor based mostly within the Detroit space. She has been overlaying the expertise trade for greater than fifteen years. View Full Bio
1 of 11